Tuesday, May 28th, 2024

Russia says Ukrainian attack on residential building in Belgorod kills 15


At least 15 people have died after a 10-storey residential apartment building partially collapsed in Russia’s southwestern city of Belgorod on Monday, Russian news agency TASS reported, citing a statement from the Russian Emergency Ministry.

According to reports, the building collapsed after a “Ukrainian attack” on 12 May.

“Rescuers found another body. In total, 15 bodies have already been pulled from the debris,” the statement said.

Earlier on 12 May, Belgorod and its suburbs were subjected to massive shelling by the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Fragments of the dropped Tochka-U tactical missile damaged a 10-story residential building, causing part of it to collapse.

Also, search and rescue operations at a partially collapsed 10-story residential apartment building in Russia’s southwestern city of Belgorod have been completed, a spokesman for the Russian emergency ministry, TASS, reported.

“Search and rescue operations and debris removal in the city of Belgorod have been completed,” the spokesman said. “Seventeen people were rescued and unfortunately we have recovered 15 bodies from under the debris.”

According to TASS, on 12 May Belgorod and its suburbs were subjected to massive shelling by Ukrainian armed forces. Fragments of the dropped Tochka-U tactical missile damaged a 10-story residential building, causing part of it to collapse.

Earlier, the Emergency Ministry had said that 12 people, including two children, had been rescued from the scene, Al Jazeera reported.

Belgorod Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov posted a video on Telegram showing a collapsed building with a large hole.

Gladkov condemned the “massive bombing” by the Ukrainian military, saying, “After direct shelling of a residential building… the entire entrance from the tenth to the ground floor collapsed.”

The Russian Defense Ministry later wrote on social media that the building was hit by fragments of a downed Tochka-U TRC missile. It also said air defense forces shot down several more rockets in the Belgorod area, as well as destroying two drones, Al Jazeera reported.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s military does not comment or acknowledge the alleged attacks by Russia and its occupied Crimea.



Share on:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *