- How to make a career in Public Relations?
- Know how much is the salary package
The job opportunities for PR professionals are quite good as students with good communication skills are required everywhere. Also, the salary package in the field of PR is as good as other professionals.
Things To Keep In Mind To Get Hired As PR Professionals
- Apply for the job in at least 7-10 companies.
- Schedule the Interview and Test on convenient dates.
- Be prepared to talk a lot as these companies will expect to meet candidates with excellent communication skills.
- If you are a fresher then be flexible about the pay package.
- Show genuine interest in joining the company you are applying to, express a desire to learn.
- Get a thorough knowledge of the company and its business before appearing for the interview.
Read also: Fun Jobs: You can do these jobs with your interest, you will get good salary
- The salary package for a PR beginner can range from Rs 15,000 and above depending on the skills and education. If you are joining a corporate company as Private Secretary to CEO, you can earn anywhere between Rs 2 lakh to Rs 3 lakh per year for your first job. If you are joining an advertising and marketing company as a communication professional, you can earn around 2.5 lakhs and above as a fresher.
- On the other hand, if you apply as an anchor or newsreader on a news channel or TV channel, you can expect a salary of Rs 30,000 and above. However, media jobs require you to be prepared to work in different shifts and fields as well.
- If you apply for a marketing position in an IT company as a technical communication or corporate communication professional, you can expect a starting salary of Rs 15,000 and above.
- There is a huge need for PR professionals in various TV channels, news channels and IT companies and BPO/KPO etc.
- Other industries such as hotel management, shipping and logistics are also in great demand for PR professionals. In which the jobs of Lobby Manager, Sales Manager and Receptionists are offered with attractive salary packages.
- Apart from the above, advertising agencies hire PR professionals for various events as well as many big names, politicians, actors hire public relations officers to maintain their good public profile.
demand and supply
Candidates with good communication skills are in high demand in all industries. For example these days, when recruiting for technical jobs like software programming, HR of companies look for people with excellent communication skills. If you have good public speaking skills, then this can prove to be an advantage for you. Apart from this, good English speaking professionals in India are rarely found in demand.
Read also: Food Science: What is Food Science? How to make a career in it? Here is the details from course to job
The Public Relations course is designed to enhance you skills like speaking publicly and understanding the psychology of the listener to facilitate useful exchange of information.
- Introduction to Public Relations
- History of Print Media in India
- electronic media and photography
- advertising research
- International communication and human rights
- Role of Information Technology in Public Relations
- Study of Human Needs and Psychology
It would be advisable to opt for colleges offering various courses in Mass Communication for PR course as these are colleges that provide the facility of co-ordination with popular media professionals. After completing school you can apply for a bachelor’s degree in mass communication and then apply for a master’s degree in public relations. Or you can do post graduation in public relations after graduation in any subject.